Spooky spoon characters. An easy Halloween craft in 4 simple steps
The kids and I had some fun creating our spooky spoon characters this week. After all what else is there to do when you’re sick and you have exhausted all of your favorite Netflix shows?
Aside from the ribbon which was purchased from Micheals last year (and I used a coupon), all of the other craft items were purchased from Dollarama making this craft under $5 per person to make. And really by the amount of pickle jars that we go through, I should have saved them for this craft (next time, if I remember…).
Items you need
- Jar (tall enough to hold your wooden spoons without them tipping over)
- Halloween ribbon (enough to tie around the top of the jar)
- Paint brushes (some with thin tips, so you can paint the faces)
- Black Acrylic Paint
- White Acrylic Paint
- Orange Acrylic Paint
- Green Acrylic Paint
- Wooden Spoons to create your spooky spoon characters (at least 4 but I think 7 or 8 would fit nicely)
Spooky Spoon Directions
- Paint the base color on your spooky spoon characters and set aside to dry
- Next, paint the whole jar black and let dry
- By this time your spoons should be ready to paint the faces of your characters on the spooky spoons. Set aside to dry
- Cut your ribbon so that you can tie a bow around the neck of the jar. I used ribbon with wire in it to get it to stay up a bit more
Arrange your Spooky Spoon characters in the jar and display for all to see. We’ve got ours displayed on our kitchen island (because it’s the ONLY place Finn hasn’t been able to creatively access yet…). Ahh, the life of a
spiderman kid 1-year-old.
Other ideas for Spooky Spoons
Use googly eyes, fabric to wrap one as a mummy, paint them all the same, create monsters or go where ever your imagination takes you. After we finished making these I found some glow in the dark paint (at the dollar store) that would have been awesome for this craft!
If you are inspired to make this Spooky Spoon craft I would love to see your creations! Tag me on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter!