I have been looking for a unique gift to give for a bridal shower that I will be attending in a little over a month.
In the last year I have come across posts about making your own vanilla which got me thinking.
What other extracts are out there???
Well let me tell you, there are many!!
And you know what, making these extracts is also easy.
- Decide where you are going to store your extracts while they are absorbing the flavours. Any jar/glass container that has a lid that can seal tight will work.
- Buy some vodka. You will need enough to cover the ingredients in the extract. Depending on your storage container, and how much you want to make is dependent on how much you need to buy. I used a 750mL bottle.
- Choose what extracts you want to make, and buy your ingredients. (grated orange, grated lemon, cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, mint leaves, spearmint leave, fresh coconut, ground almonds etc.)
- Add your chosen extract flavour to the container
- Cover with Vodka
- Shake bottle once a day for at least 6 weeks. You will know that the extract is ready once you can no longer taste the vodka.
- Once ready strain bits out from the extract using a small strainer or a coffee filter
- Use in your recipes like any store bought extract
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner