Making your own bread is one of the easiest things to do. With basic ingredients, a mixer, bread pan, and an oven you’re set. Like a-lot of people I have a budget for groceries and with the cost of food going up I am always looking for ways to save money. Making your own bread is definitely one way to save money on your grocery bill. And let’s be honest nothing beats the taste of fresh bread!
Bread recipe ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 tsp yeast (I use Fleischmann’s Quick Rise)
- Bread pans (we bought ours at Ikea)
- Add all ingredients together and mix with dough hook
- Add mix in’s (see some ideas below)
- Cover and let rise for one hour
- Pull out and divide in two
- Form and put in pans
- Proof one hour at 100°F
- Take out of the oven and heat oven to 375°F
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 min
- When finished take out of the oven and pan, let cool.
We buy bread bags from the Wholesale Club so when we make bread we make a few loaves at a time and freeze them for when we need them.
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons
Rosemary & Olive
1 tablespoon rosemary
3/4 cups of sliced olives (pitted)
4 tables spoons of Pesto
We haven’t bought bread for over 6 months. As a family of 5 and as someone who watches kids during the week we go through at least 6 loafs of bread a week. Looking at it in dollar amounts, if we were to buy the cheapest bread available we would still save $10/week equaling out to roughly $250 in the last 6 months.
That’s a-lot of dough – literally and figuratively.