We have made the decision that our kids will be going back to their classrooms when school starts and this easy mask holder hack will hopefully help to keep masks from getting lost…or one can only hope! Adding in the number of gloves that my kids lose in the winter, I also knew that I needed to figure out something quickly.
Easy To Make Mask Holder
The supplies that I needed to make a mask holder were easy to find at Dollarama and were quite affordable at $3 for everything, making the mask holder approximately $1.35 to make.
Here’s what you will need:
- Neoprene glasses strap – $1.25 at Dollarama
- Self-adhesive Velcro dots – $1.25 at Dollarama for 16 sets
- Needle and thread – Optional, to hold the velcro in place
Mask Holder Instructions
Once you have all of the supplies that you need, it’s time to move onto making your mask holder!
- Take your Neoprene glasses strap and lay it flat
- Put the loop part (soft side) of the velcro on the inner part of the glasses strap
- Place the hook part (rough side) of the velcro where the glasses’ arms would normally go into. You may need to fold it around the ends.
- As an added security to keep all of the velcro pieces in place, you can also add a couple of simple stitches to the velcro spots.
With the velcro pieces in place, this will create a loop that can easily be fastened around the ear parts of a mask hold around the neck, with the mask attached.
Addressing The Safety
Of course, there are no perfect solutions for how kids going back into the classrooms are going to ensure that their masks aren’t handled a million times in their day. This really is just something to help them with keeping them close.
But what about the risk of the mask holders being around their necks?
I knew that I wanted to use velcro instead of snaps or just stitching it together because I wanted something with a quick release. Options that I looked included ribbon, braided embroidery thread, lanyards and even beaded with names.
While they all seemed cool and fun, they just weren’t something I felt comfortable with my elementary kids having on so neoprene material, it is! Not sure what neoprene material is? Thinks wet suits, laptop cases, and my favourite drink cozies. Being a breathable material it’s also adaptable to different temperatures.
Do you have a mask holder hack to share? Comment below!