DIY pizza pockets
This past weekend I think my nesting kicked in….
The baby will be here in a bit and my mom will be staying with the kids. I want to have meals prepared for her and the kids and I want meals for when I come home too.
Gone are those days. Both Carter and Sophie want something with substance.
And their always asked for food lately…. PIZZA.
This is an easy recipe for DIY pizza pockets – one I hope becomes a favourite of yours. You can freeze them and they are good in the freezer for up to 3 months (Not that ours will ever last that long). From start to finish it took me about 45-60 minutes to make 17. But this was also with the kids so the process was a little bit more drawn out.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
- In a bowl mix 2 tablespoons of dry active yeast in with 2 cups of warm water. Let it dissolve.
- Mix in 2 teaspoons of sugar (I used coconut palm sugar), 2 teaspoons of salt, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, and 5 cups of flour. (I used regular unbleached flour)
- Once all mixed together knead the dough for about 2 minutes.
- Let dough sit for 10 minutes.**This is a good time to chop your ingredients up if you haven’t already started!!**
- Knead dough for 2 minutes
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- Split dough into pieces. It will yield 15-17 pieces.
- You can roll the dough out with a rolling pin or you can shape with your hands into a circle – either works well.
- To fill your pizza pockets pick your favourite ingredients. We used cut up green & red pepper, mushrooms. pineapple, olives and of course pizza sauce and grated cheese. Put ingredients in the middle and then fold in half. Think pyrohy, but bigger! **Remember to not fill it too full as you want to be able to seal the edges**
- Brush both sides with a bit of olive oil, put on a greased cookie sheet and cook for 10 minutes or until a little browned.
- Once out of the over, they are ready to be served or you can cool them and then freeze them for another day..
To enjoy from the freezer just pop in the microwave for approx. 1 min and they are ready to eat!
√ One more thing off my to do list.
Try these other ingredient pairings
Ground beef & cheese
Ham & cheese
Chicken, broccoli, and cheese
[yikes-mailchimp form=”2″ title=”1″ submit=”Submit”]